Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, December 13, 2010

Tyson Burton....You are an Ironman!!

We're back from the honey...and have been for a week! :)  We arrived in hot, humid Cozumel on Thanksgiving day.  No issues flying on the way down (Tyson ALWAYS has bad luck).  We spent the first few days doing Ironman stuff - Tyson went for swims, runs, bike rides in the mornings while I slept in (every day).  Then we'd either lay by the pool or head to town for more Ironman stuff - meetings, bike check in, packet pick up.  Finally on Sunday, it was race day!! Tyson got up
 at 4:00am and took off to catch the shuttle to Chankanaab, where the swim and T1 were held.  I caught the 6:15am shuttle, arriving at 6:30am to Chankanaab.  The pros started the swim at 6:40am and were followed by everyone else at 7:00am.  The swim started right where the dolphins swim so they were doing tricks while we watched! 
The dolphins were doing tricks right in the middle!
Look at all the swimmers!
As soon as the triathletes started swimming, I headed up to the "bike-out" so I could see Tyson when he left on his bike.  I knew I would have to choose between seeing him get out of the swim or go off on his bike, so I picked bike. 
Here he comes!

And there he goes!
Ok...so now the camera starts flashing "change battery pack".  Great.  I wasn't able to go back to our resort.  I took a shuttle into town and spent the rest of the morning, afternoon, and night in town....with a dead camera.  Ugh.  Who would think to charge their camera before a 15 hour event??  Apparently not me.  (Sorry Tyson!)  Anyway, the crowd was great in town - music, yelling, noise makers, dancing.  As the triathletes rode through town, they were welcomed by thousands of cheering fans!  I saw Tyson on his first and second loop through, but he only saw me on the second loop.  I then headed over to watch the run.  I got to see Tyson a lot during the run!  They ran out and back and did that 3 times, so I got to see him 6 times! 

After he went out for his 3rd loop, I went to the finish line to watch others finish, and also so I could score a good spot for when MY Ironman finished!  I got a spot right behind the finish line, hoping I could get ONE MORE picture out of the camera!  I did!!! It isn't great because I took it really quick, but it proves that he did it! 

Woooo!!!
He finished in 15:16:31....with 1:44 left to spare.  :)  (They have to finish in 17 hours)

Way to go Tyson! I am so proud of you!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Tyson! We were watching the updates all day! And I'm laughing because the dead battery thing is so me!

    ReplyDelete