Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Daycare

We found a daycare way back in March, before Kai was even born.  Although she was new to the in-home scene, she had previously been employed at the UNI Child Development Center.  I felt good about our choice.  However, the closer it was getting to August, the more uneasy I was feeling.  Of course  I'm sure I would have been feeling this way whether we were sending Kai to someone we knew or a 'stranger'.  Last week, I received an email from our provider - she was closing her daycare temporarily.  WHAT?! I'm going back to school in two weeks....now I have the added pressure of trying to find a daycare last minute?!

I spent every day last week calling daycares.  I started with a DHS website, then some recommendations on Facebook, then some recommendations from providers who were full but passed along some names.  I have a REALLY long list of people, however most of them are too full to take another baby.  I've been so thankful for those who have given me another name or two to try.

I know there is someone out there who will be perfect for Kai and our family.  A friend of mine said "God already has someone picked out for you," so I have to believe that and find that person.  I keep telling myself that this is all a blessing in disguise.  Maybe I would have been unhappy with our first provider after Kai started going there.

Toward the end of last week I received a Facebook message from a provider who was too full to take Kai.  She gave me a name to try.  I immediately got in contact with this lady.  I was in luck: she had a full-time opening and she lives about a half mile from us.  I could literally walk Kai to daycare if I wanted (although I never leave myself enough time, so that won't be happening!).  We planned to meet on Monday (yesterday) evening.

Kai and I met Kamie last night and I immediately felt at ease!  She still had three of her daycare kids there and they were having a blast and seemed to love it at her house!!  Kamie also has three kids of her own (two girls and a boy) and as soon as we walked in, all of the kids rushed into the living room to meet Kai!  We have officially made our decision! Kai will begin daycare with Kamie on Monday morning. 

This is such a relief.  I can now enjoy these last few days without worrying about where he will be going next week.  I know it will be a huge adjustment.  Kai isn't very good about napping in his crib (first-time mom mistake??) and he's a super light sleeper (it's just me here during the day and I'm quiet when he sleeps).  Kamie will put him in a room by himself to nap until he's older and really knows how to nap.  We could be dealing with a very tired boy next week (and a tired mama).  I know he's going to love watching all of the kids play - he loves watching Ava play when he's around her. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you found someone you feel comfortable with! Its always hard leaving your baby for the first time and you want someone you don't have to worry about! He will do great! Now enjoy these last 2 days!!! See you Monday!

    ReplyDelete