Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First Road Trip!

On Friday we packed up the mini van and headed to Minnesota.  This was Kai's first long car ride.  I fed Kai at 1:00 and then we left to pick up Tyson at work in Waverly.  He had some things to finish up so we got out of there late and I knew we would have to stop for Kai to eat at 4:00. 

And we're off!

We were just past Clear Lake and Kai woke up right on time at 4:00.  We ended up pulling into someone's driveway so I could crawl in the backseat and feed him.  Then back in the car seat he went and he was out until we got to the hotel.  He did great!  He slept in his pack n' play and I forgot the poles that were needed for the bassinet part of it, so he ended up sleeping on the bottom. It all worked out fine anyway. 
Swaddled up in the pack 'n' play


On Saturday we got up EARLY and headed to Somerset, WI for the Tough Mudder.  Tyson and a group of friends were competing.  Through the 90 degree weather and being stuck in a car seat ALL day, Kai did great again.  I snuck away to the van a couple of times during the race to feed him and then back in the car seat he went.  He slept pretty much the whole day and then on Saturday night he slept the best yet!  I decided to try swaddling him again (which I gave up at about 2 weeks) and he ended up sleeping from 11:00-4:00!! Then off & on from 5:00-7:00 & 7:30-9:30! 

Before the race started

How Kai spent his day

Up and over the first wall!

Here they come!

Ben helping Emily up "Mount Everest"

Jason jumping off "Walk the Plank"

Tyson getting ready to jump off "Walk the Plank"

Jason running through "Electroshock Therapy"

Some of the group at the end!

"Twinkle Toes" (this one isn't in the right order)

On Sunday morning we slept in until 9:30 (thank you Kai!!) and finally hit the road at 11:00am.  We decided to stop at Cabela's because Tyson had never been there and we weren't in a hurry to get home anyway.  It was perfect timing to feed Kai as well. 

Just before we got to Clear Lake, my mom sent me a text that they had just gotten home from Missouri and if we "accidentally" took a wrong turn and ended up at their house, it would be okay. :)  Well, we had been planning to stop anyway, but we didn't think our timing would work out.  She caught us just in time too, otherwise we would have already made the turn toward Cedar Falls.  So, off to Dumont we went for Kai's first visit to Nana and Papa's!  When we got there, I realized it was his first visit.  I can't believe it took 6 weeks for us to get there, but they have been visiting us almost every weekend. :)

Kai did great on the way home from Minnesota too.  He slept pretty much the whole way.  I ended up climbing in the back seat and giving him a bottle just before we reached my parents' house.  I think Tyson and I can plan some more long trips now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment